Safe and non-toxic silica gel drying agent
Silica gel in the word of silica gel desiccant, also called "silicate gel", is a highly active adsorption material, which belongs to amorphous substance. Silica is the main component of silica gel desiccant , gets stable chemical properties, does not burn, and has a strong adsorption capacity, can absorb water. Silica gel desiccant 's moisture absorption, can reach about 40%, some even as high as 300%.
How to detect whether the silica gel desiccant has the ability of moisture absorption and drying?
1. Pour in a small cup of cool water, open the desiccant bag, and pour the silica gel desiccant particles into the water to see whether the silica gel desiccant particles will fry into fragments, with "scratching" sounds. If the answer is "yes", that means the silica gel desiccant is effective.
2. Take a small bag of desiccant and weigh it well. We need relevant weighing tools to mark it and put it in the room. After 5 to 10 days, we should check whether the weight add or not . If add ,that means working, because it absorbs the water involved.
3. Disassemble the desiccant and observe the granular silica gel particles inside. If the silica gel is yellow and has a large number of beads, it is defective material. There will no get the effect of moisture absorption . Then crush the raw material to check whether the glass beads mix inside , beware of fake products.
Wrong test methods for common desiccant:
Wrong method 1:
Many people think that desiccant is moisture absorbent, just throw it in the water and wait a few hours to see whether it's full or not. However, desiccant can keep space dry by absorbing moisture in the air. In general，the target object of desiccant is water vapor rather than liquid water.
Wrong method 2:
Pour a glass of water on it directly to see whether the desiccant can absorb moisture quickly or not . But desiccant is not an absorbent resin (a common ingredient in baby diapers) that absorbs liquid water, absorbent resin can only absorb liquid water but not water vapor(moisture) !
Wrong method 3:
Disassemble the outer bag of desiccant and only take the raw material of desiccant (particle or powder) for testing without thinking the effect of the outer packing bag for the finished desiccant product . In fact , the packing material of desiccant is more important than the raw material.
Wrong method 4:
Put the desiccant in the indoor environment for testing directly;The ambient temperature and humidity have significant impact on the capacity of moisture absorption of the desiccant. Normaly it is difficult to check whether there is any change of the moisture absorption effect in a short time under normal environment. If possible, the desiccant should be tested with the constant temperature and humidity box.
1. Use the constant temperature and humidity box to simulate the weight change before and after the test;
2. The ratio of the change of the drying agent before and after the moisture absorption in the sealed environment can be calculated;